Who gets financial aid?
The financial aid administrator at your college can help determine what you’re eligible for. There are, however some basic guidelines for all applicants. They must:
- Demonstrate financial need; this means that your cost of education is greater than your family contribution.
- Be working toward a degree or certificate.
- Be enrolled in an eligible program.
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, be a New York state resident for NY state aid (TAP).
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Be registered with the Selective Service (if required).
- Maintain academic progress once in college.
- Have a high school diploma or General Education Development (GED) certificate.
- Not be convicted of selling or possessing illegal drugs while receiving aid.
- Not be in default of federal student loans or state student loans for NY state financial aid (TAP).