Search the Keuka College Help Center

Campus Life

What is your policy on alcohol?

 It is illegal in the state of New York for anyone under the age of 21 to possess, consume, or be under the influence of alcohol. It is illegal for students who are of age to sell or serve alcohol to minors.

Our policy supports this law, but does allow students 21 and over to consume alcohol in on-campus residence halls and apartments under very specific parameters.

First-year student halls are dry in resident hall rooms, including Saunders Hall, Space Hall, and Davis Hall. Alcohol is prohibited regardless of the student’s age.

In addition, Keuka College upholds a town ordinance that prohibits drinking alcohol in public places.

How is the residence hall staffed?

Each floor of our traditional halls is typically staffed with at least one Resident Assistant (RA) who is responsible for individual floors. Resident Assistant positions are filled by upperclassmen who have been chosen because of their leadership ability. They receive special training in areas such as community building, conflict resolution, and crisis intervention.

Head Resident Assistants are paraprofessional staff in place to assist with the administration of the halls and residence hall environments, and also to serve in the daily Resident Director On Duty (RDOD) rotation for emergency/crisis situations as they arise. They are upper-class students who have served as Resident Assistants prior to their appointment as a Head Resident Assistant and undergo advanced training.

Resident Directors are professional staff members and are responsible for the overall administration of these halls and serve as on call administrators for the campus daily and after hours. 

What if I lose my room key?

 At check-in, each student is issued a key to their room, which they are responsible for keeping as long as they are assigned to that room. In the event a student moves out of that room, the key is to be returned to the Resident Assistant on their floor. The cost of a new key in the event it is lost is $75. If there is a problem after hours, please contact Campus Safety at (315) 694-0268. Students who have lost their room key must contact the Office of Housing & Residence Life right away. Note that it may take several days for a key replacement to be made and distributed. Residence Life staff or Campus Safety can provide access upon request.

What is living on campus like?

Keuka College believes that the development of its students centers around the opportunity to participate in an on-campus community, first and foremost. Living on campus is a major part of the College experience, especially during your first year. There’s always something to do: go to movies, create a social event, or hang out with friends. Read more about housing & residence life and fun & adventure at Keuka College.

What health services are offered?

The Health & Counseling Center is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday while the College is in session. Medical Practitioner visits are available by appointment by calling our office at (315) 279-5368, emailing [email protected], or stopping in. Students can be seen for the same types of illnesses that your regular primary care provider would see, such as, sore throats, urinary tract infections, sprains and strains, skin infections, sexually transmitted infections, respiratory infections, gastrointestinal problems, allergy shots, and birth control issues.

Students should bring their health insurance card with them when they come in for their appointments. Students’ health insurance is billed for service through our collaborative healthcare partners, Finger Lakes Health. When the Center is closed, alternate care options can be found on our website. In case of a life-threatening emergency, dial 911 for assistance.

What if I have a food allergy? What dining accommodations are made?

We will work with every student on ways they can customize their options to meet any dietary restrictions they have. If a student needs assistance, they should see the Office of Housing & Residence Life. This staff will coordinate with Dining Services and the Disability Services Coordinator to help a student create a plan and make accommodations for students with allergies and dietary restrictions.

In extreme circumstances, students may be given the option to downgrade their meal plan.

What is there to do on the weekends?

Lots! There are athletic events, musical events, comedians and various entertainers brought to campus, as well as social events hosted by various clubs and campus groups, a movie theater in town, and different events in the downtown Penn Yan area. There are 1,100+ students to get to know — so there’s always plenty to do! For more about events, visit here.

What happens if I get in trouble? Will you tell my parents?

If you are involved in a situation in which policies may have been violated, you will have the opportunity to meet with a College staff member who is investigating the incident. Most cases are resolved at this level. If you don’t accept responsibility, the staff member will refer you for a conduct meeting. Keuka College believes it is good practice for students to have open communication with parents about their experience, and we always recommend that students talk to their parents about the disciplinary process. Parents are routinely notified of student involvement, generally following FERPA parameters.

What if I cannot find a parking space?

 If you cannot find a parking space, do not make your own or park in a lot you are not authorized to park. Alternative options include:

  • On-street parking available on Lake Avenue. This is public parking and you will not need a parking pass to use it.
  • There is overflow parking available in Lot V or Lot P (Athletic Fields). Campus Safety may be contacted for a safe ride back to the main campus.
  • Students are allowed to park in most non-student lots between 3 p.m. and 8 a.m. On weekends, there is open parking, with the exception of special events. Click here for special event parking.

For more information about parking, check out our Parking Plan and Parking FAQ's. If you have questions or issues, contact our Campus Safety office at (315) 694-0268

Who cleans my room?

Students are expected to clean their rooms. Housekeeping staff will clean the public areas (bathrooms, stairwells, hallway, and lounges). For buildings with carpeted rooms, vacuums are available through the Residence Life staff. With the exception of general wear and tear, students are expected to leave a room in the same condition as when they moved in. A Work Order can be generated for any damage that takes place during the semester.  

How many people stay for the weekends?

The majority of students stay on campus, although some go home every now and then. Many of the students who leave campus on weekends are participating in athletic events, off-campus employment, or attending school-related activities.

Why is Keuka College recommending that employees wear a face covering?

The New York Forward plan and the Centers for Disease Control recommend cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.  Face coverings are not required for general office work and will not be provided to employees for whom they are not essential.

Cloth face coverings are not surgical masks or N-95 respirators, which have been designated for healthcare workers and other first responders.

Even with a face covering, you should continue to engage in social distancing.